Saturday, October 23, 2010

Horehound Surprise

One of the herbs in my garden is horehound. This is not a delicious culinary herb; it is a bitter, medicinal herb traditionally used as a treatment for coughs and sore throats.

When I was growing up, this is one of the bad-tasting medicines that my father brought out when I complained about a sore throat. If I had an unhappy tummy, he mixed a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and told me to drink it. This tasted worse than horehound, which at least was in candy form, so there was the consolation of a little sugar. Needless to say, there were very few minor health complaints at our house. None of us wanted to risk the bad-tasting home remedies!

Weirdly enough, I have grown to like horehound (but not the baking-soda and water).



One year, I made horehound candy with my own horehound, but I didn't know that the pieces absolutely had to be individually wrapped. I've made other hard candies before (cinnamon and anise flavors) and they kept just fine in a jar. When I put my horehound candy in a jar, though, it merged into one solid mass in the jar in just a couple of weeks.

This year, I'm going to pass on the candy-making, and just use the leaves for tea. There is a lot of horehound, so I've put some leaves in the freezer, and some are set out to dry.

The job turned out to be a bigger adventure that I expected; when I was out in the garden snipping leaves off the horehound, I found carrots!



The horehound grew really well this year, flopping over the space where last spring's carrots came out. I had harvested all the carrots that I could see months ago, but the horehound seems to have sheltered some seeds that hadn't germinated with the rest of the crop. If I had been a better weeder, these probably wouldn't have made it to maturity!

2 comments:

  1. I have this growing here and didn't know what it was. Seemed too lush to be a wild thing. I love the idea of making candies with herbs, something to look into over the winter. My grapes aren't ripening, but the wild mushrooms won't stop - I am going to take what I can get. Great post. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruralrose,

    Making candy from more herbs than just horehound does sound interesting. It's funny that I hadn't thought any further than the one herb! If you try, though, be sure to wrap each piece individually, in case the "merging into one giant piece" is an herb-thing in general, and not just a horehound problem!

    Glad the mushrooms are coming in, even if the grapes aren't. Squirrels got our grapes this year. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...