Sunday, May 9, 2010

Cool Spring Weather

This morning, I had my Mother's Day breakfast out on the back deck, as usual, but the weather is not at all usual. We all were wearing sweaters and long pants because it was 48 degrees F. I am pretty sure this is the coldest Mother's Day morning I've experienced.

The good news is that the spring veggies love the cool weather. The lettuces will stand longer in the garden before turning bitter, the spinach won't bolt as soon, the radishes will continue to be be crisp and to have just the right amount of heat, the beets will continue to grow without turning woody and weird, and the peas will continue to flower and set pods.

This is a head of the Capitan lettuce (a lot like Buttercrunch, I think) that we had with supper a couple of days ago. The big loose head made a huge salad, and it was delicious.



These are some of the French Breakfast radishes that we've been eating. They are getting a bit large, so the rest will come out in a day or two. Joe thinks I should have planted more, so next year I probably will.



Later today I will go buy flowers to plant in pots on the front porch. I will make everyone go with me. Actually, the boy who still lives at home doesn't mind going to garden stores; for the one who is living in Colorado, going to garden stores is a huge pain.

I'm looking forward to a great day working in the yard. Hope everyone else has a happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Cool morning here, too! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...