Monday, March 15, 2010

Peas Update

I usually plant peas when the trout lilies bloom in my yard, and that happens most years around the 20th of February. We’ve had a cold winter, and the daffodils also should have been blooming by then (and they weren’t), but when it got to be the 22nd, even though the trout lilies were only in bud, I planted the peas.

My excuse is that the day was warm and I was ready to plant. Of course, I knew better. I should have waited. A few days ago when I checked the garden, I figured out that most of those peas are never coming up, because they’ve rotted in the ground.

Now, though, it is safe to replant the peas. This is what the trout lilies look like today:




They are in full, glorious bloom! In a day or two, when the ground is less soggy (my yard has had 3.4 inches of rain in the last several days), I will replant the peas.

The great irony here is that I tell beginning gardeners that one common mistake in gardening is planting too soon, and that it is better to wait an extra week for better weather and warmer soil than to risk losing a crop to the cold. Maybe someday I will learn to take my own advice!

3 comments:

  1. Sigh...yep,I do it too.Blame it on spring fever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, me too....! I waited an extra 2 weeks to plant mine, but they aren't up yet. I will give it another few days and go dig up the seeds and have a look, may have to replant too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melodie and Erin, Thanks for the sympathy. I think part of the problem is that most of my life is structured around the regular calendar, but plants don't have calendars hanging in the kitchen. The signs outside (like watching the trout lilies) are more dependable indicators of planting times.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...