Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Just-in-Time Harvest of Early Wonder Tall Top Beets

The National Weather Service claims that we are going to have another cold night, down to 24 degrees F. Since the beets looked pathetic after that last somewhat-hard freeze, I went ahead and pulled up the rest of the Early Wonder Tall Top Beets this afternoon.



I grew these mostly for the greens. We have been cutting leaves off (for eating!) a few at a time from each plant as it has gotten big enough, and I think that the continuous harvest may have kept the roots from getting very big. They are mostly just an inch or two across.

Of course, one year a friend grew these beets without the continuous harvest thing going on, and she still didn't get much in the way of roots from hers. The small roots may just be a quirk of the variety.

The leaves are pretty tasty, so I can't really complain about the tiny roots. I plan to chop the leaves, then saute the pieces in olive oil, with garlic. I would add some chicory to the pan, but those plants are under cover, and getting to them would be a bit of a pain.

After tonight, the temperatures should moderate some. Nighttime temperature are expected to stay above thirty for the rest of the week, so I can uncover the currently protected beds tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...