Monday, November 23, 2009

Celebration of Orange Vegetables, and Especially Pumpkin Pie

One year at Thanksgiving dinner I sat down, looked at my plate (food was set out buffet style), and realized I would be eating four orange vegetables at that meal. Seminole pumpkin squash and spiced sweet potatoes were piled on the plate, the stuffing included bits of carrot, and a pumpkin pie was waiting for dessert. No wonder I liked that meal so much!

I love pumpkin pie, and I eat wedges of leftover pie for breakfast, days in a row, until it is finally all gone, so this particular pie is an important part, to me, of any Autumn celebration.

For years and years I made a standard recipe pumpkin pie, but last year I made the Cook's Illustrated Pumpkin Pie recipe, and my youngest son said it was the best pumpkin pie he'd ever eaten. This means, of course, that I will be making it again this year, even though it is a bit of a pain (many more steps than the old recipe).

The Cook's Illustrated recipe uses both pumpkin and sweet potatoes. It actually calls for canned candied sweet potatoes, but I used roasted ones that had grown in my garden last year, and will again this year. It also, like most pumpkin pie recipes, calls for canned pumpkin puree. I will be using a Tahitian squash from my garden and letting it sit in a strainer for a while after roasting to let excess moisture drain away before mixing it into the other filling ingredients.

The pie crust recipe that accompanies the filling recipe on the linked page above is excellent. I will be making several batches of the dough tomorrow (I went to a liquor store for the vodka this morning), for use on Wednesday when I put together and bake the pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...