Thursday, October 29, 2009

Time for a Change (used to be Food Gardening NW of Atlanta)

I started this blog in July of 2008, when my family was gathered in Tulsa after Nana died. I had been thinking for a while about starting a food-gardening blog, but as a “technology challenged” person, I had no clue how to get started. My older brother, though, already had a blog for his bicycling activities in Washington state, and in one of the breaks from working to empty out Nana’s apartment he helped me get started.

I hadn’t thought as far as a title for the blog, so, as we sat together filling in the blanks (it really was easy!), I just created one that seemed reasonably descriptive of what I had in mind. The title “Food Gardening NW of Atlanta” is okay as a place-holder, but I’ve done enough writing here to know that it doesn’t fully reflect my goals for the blog.

My primary hope is that more people who are interested in growing some (or more!) of their own food will be encouraged to try, and the new title, “Grow Your Own (Food),” should help communicate that idea better. I keep meeting people who are new to gardening, or who have had a frustrating gardening year, so I know that the need for timely information exists, especially in the Atlanta area which has become home to many people from places with very different growing conditions.

The blog will continue to track what I do in my own yard, for people who are following as a way to become familiar with the planting schedule and learn about reliably productive plants for the Atlanta area, and it will continue to be a place for more general gardening information that would be useful almost anywhere (like the compost posts). It is likely to branch out a bit, too, but I will try to keep from straying too far off the topic of providing some of your own very good, very local, food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...