Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rain Report

I spoke with a guy on Friday evening who said his yard had received almost eleven and a half inches of rain in the last nine days. Actually, he told the amount to the exact one hundredth of an inch, because he is a science teacher who delights in precise measurements, but I remembered the rounded-up number, because that was just easier.

His yard is in another town a little north of mine, but our rain accumulation has been pretty similar, maybe an inch less. When I peered through the rain across the yard to my rain gage this morning, I saw that we have received another couple of inches of rain since yesterday morning. The weather forecast for the week includes rain for several days to come.

I am very glad that my Fall planting is mostly done (radishes still need to go out), because even though my garden is a series of terraced beds, it will be a while before those beds are dry enough to work without messing up the soil structure.

If the beds were completely level with a flat ground, the soil would be water-logged (other parts of the yard are about like a thick pudding right now), it would take even longer to dry out for planting, and the roots of my veggies that are already out in the soggy mess would be pretty unhappy.


2:50 p.m. update: We've had an additional 1.5 inches of rain since I checked the rain gage this morning, and water is still falling from the sky. It is a miracle. The creek is finally looking like a creek again, with water flowing freely and uninterruptedly above the streambed.

Since this is not a day for gardening, I am making bread, a double batch of Parisian Daily Bread as described on the blog A Year in Bread, except that, for me, it usually take six hours instead of four. I made the dough in Cheryl's grandfather's wooden dough bowl that is plenty big enough for the double batch.

8:15 a.m., 21 Sept. update: since 2:50 p.m. yesterday, we've had an additional 3.2 inches of rain! The forecast is for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...