Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Two Big Tomatoes




The Cherokee Purple, on the right, weighs 1.5 pounds. The Amish tomato, on the left, weighs 1.25 pounds. I picked them both a little sooner than I prefer, because this morning I worked as a volunteer at the nearby Plant-a-Row-for-the-Hungry garden where critter-troubles have made me a bit paranoid about my own garden's large tomatoes.

The critters seem to target the largest nearly ripe tomatoes in the garden, chomping out a big hole on one side then scooping much of the middle portion right out of the fruit. It has been pretty frustrating. The trap that has been set out has caught a couple of raccoons and a possum, but the trap will be set repeatedly until it doesn't catch any more critters (they also have scooped out the middles of most of the watermelons).

The Amish tomato is a plant that I got through a Home Depot store. I didn't really need any seeds that day, but I was looking at the racks of seeds anyway (can't resist!), and it turns out that I am not the only person who does this. An older guy who also didn't need any seeds was also looking at the racks; he wanted to see if the store was selling his favorite variety that he saves seeds from every year (so he wouldn't actually buy any even if they were available).

We visited for a while about gardening, then he said that closer to planting time (about six weeks away from that time) I should stop by his house and he would give me some plants! He explained how to find his house, so in early April I stopped by. His wife answered the door, looking a bit wary, but I asked for "the Tomato Man" and heard a big laugh from behind her.

The guy was there, and I was given some plants. The pictured tomato is from a plant that I have growing in a pot. Another one, that was put in the ground in early spring, didn't survive, but a third plant that went in where and when the onions came out is doing fine.

2 comments:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Margaret

    http://howtomakecompost.info

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret/jennifer,

    Thanks for the note! Just letting me know that you are reading is a nice boost. Hope you can find something useful in here!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...