Thursday, August 6, 2009

Popcorn



Checking around online, I found that one clue to the approaching harvest-time for popcorn is dry husks. Most of the husks covering the ears of Dakota Black popcorn out in my garden have gone papery and brown (good!), and a couple of ears have started to get a little moldy out at the silk end (bad!). This combination of factors led me to harvest the popcorn.

A few ears were later to develop than the others. I’ve left those on their stalks in the garden to dry a bit longer because their husks are still greenish.

However, the harvested corn is beautiful! I will start checking its pop-ability in a month or so. Until then, it will stay in a basket, covered with a cloth to keep dust off, to finish drying.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...