Sunday, August 30, 2009

Laziness Doesn’t Pay

Usually, when I plant the fall greens, I start them in flats and transplant them to their individual places when they reach a decent size. Their individual places are a set distance apart in blocks, in a repeating diamond pattern; the rows that result from this kind of spacing are not especially obvious, and the plants eventually mature to a size that allows them to touch their nearest neighbors on four sides.

This method of starting seedlings and then transplanting them out is some work, initially, but it results in a beautifully filled block, and no thinning is required.

This year, though, I had enough open spaces in the garden that my lazy side won out and I seeded almost all the fall crops directly into furrows, drawn as standard rows. The little plants have come up, which is great, but they’ve come up in abundance, and now they need to be thinned.

Not only is the thinning going to be more work than I would prefer, but it also seems wasteful. Many perfectly viable little plants will have to be pulled up and tossed into the compost. An alternative is to pot them up and find them new homes, but that is even more work. This is all, of course, my own fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...